Saturday, October 20, 2007

Detroit Temple

Last night Steven and I planned on going to the Detroit Temple as our Friday date night. I was to pick him up right after he was done with school and then we would drive straight to Detroit. On my way to pick up Steven I got a cell phone call, and of all people, it was the temple president. I thought "How did he know we were coming? I did not schedule an appointment, or did I?" It turned out that he didn't know, but stated that our bishop had referred us to him to be temple workers. I told him that we were headed over to Detroit at that very moment; how convenient is that! On the way over there we got held up in traffic. Luckily though we made it to Detroit in a decent how, but poor Steven was tired and hungry. On our way I told Steven that we could eat any where he wanted, but it turned out because of lack of time, our options ended up on being very limited to KFC and a small diner, and Steven let me know that KFC was not going to satisfy his 10am hunger. We were scrunched for time and I could feel the tension in the air as Steven said "why do we do this? I don't like being rushed." I thought to myself "Because there is no other time to go to the temple, and you just told me that your hungry. What do you want me to do?," but I kept my mouth shut. He was right we were scrunched for time. I felt like I was in a lose-lose situation. Well, I knew for sure I did not like the hungry/irritable version of Steven so I took him to the small dinner. We rushed through dinner and rushed to the temple, and in our ideal world we would have made it to the 8pm session, but we didn't. Amazingly though what really happened is that as soon as we entered the door the atmosphere changed. There was not that sense of rush or failure. I felt at peace and happy. I still felt good for coming. We were able to meet with the temple president and he offered us the opportunity to work as ordinance workers, and stated how we would be blessed in doing so. We then went and did sealings. When it was all said and done everything turned out perfect. No, we did not make it in time for the session, but we were able to do sealings, an experience that Steven and I always wanted to have, and on top of that meet with an amazing man of God. After going to the temple we left with a peace that we did not have before entering, and an excitement in the opportunity to work at the temple. Oh, and I learned next time to pack dinner. :)

7 comments:

sarah said...

What a neat story. I think any time you try to go to the temple something comes up, but it sounds like you guys had a great experience. I still want to do sealings with Michael one of these days...
I hope everything else is good with you guys!

Michael said...

yeah like you really want to do sealings with me... I think you have to have temple recommends to do them if I remember correctly...

sounds like an awesome calling! The adversary is always at work when you are trying to do the Lord's work, way to persevere.

Nonny said...

We are so proud of both of you for accepting callings to work in the Lord's home. You will surely be blessed. The rush and irritability is the adversary trying to thwart the good you can accomplish in the Lord's name. Although I have always enjoyed endowment sessions, it is sealings that I find most rewarding. What a neat experience! Good thinking on the packing a meal deal or even picking something up before reaching Steven and eating on the way!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

wow i can't imagine being a temple worker. it seems like all the temple workers i've seen have been really old. that is way neat though- i bet that would be an awesome experience. i loved this story- it reminds me that i need to go to the temple soon. =)

Lisa said...

Jeff and I have talked about being temple workers. In fact, here the temple is small so they need people from the ward to work on our temple nights. I think it would be a wonderful experiance.

AT said...

Thanks for sharing that experience, I have had many like this and one of the most memorable was a few years ago when I was racing in a 24-hour mt bike race in Tucson, it was my 5th lap and about 4:30 in the morning, I was tired and the wind had picked up causing the temperature to become near freezing as it swept through my wet jersey, an hour goes by and I am struggling up a climb and once I crested it I see dawn break in the chilly sky over the Tucson desert and a full spectrum of blues, yellows and golds loomed before me, it was like god was looking down on me, alone and cold, on the trail, I drew off of the power Jesus showed me that morning, it was like being touched by a devinehood and for that moment nothing mattered, time ceased to exist and I was able to finish that race...I will never forget that experience.

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

hey, I just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I can also relate to this story especially with Jared being in law school and has so many things to do with little sleep. They can really get irritable huh!