Monday, July 13, 2009

Traumatic Saturday





My mom called me the other day telling me such horrific news I almost cried. Bailey, my sister Amber's 13 month old baby, was standing by her mom in their bedroom when she began screaming. Thinking she was tired, Amber put her in her bed, but she started acting weird, a really scary type weird. She started rolling around in her bed, she made freaky weird noises, and her eyes began shaking. Amber had a feeling to run back to the place where Bailey was standing by the desk. She looked around and found 8 baby Bark Scorpions, the most deadly scorpions in the United States! Who knows how many times she was bit or stung; these scorpions don't leave marks, but Amber saw that she had stepped on 3. She called her husband who then directed her to call poison control. She was directed by the phone operator to watch for signs of drooling and difficulty breathing. By this time Bailey was shaking uncontrollably, unable to cry, and foaming at the mouth. An ambulance was sent on its way. When they arrived they rushed her inside the vehicle with oxygen. In the midst of all of this trauma, they told Amber she could not ride with her baby in the ambulance. Sobbing, Amber was devastated beyond meens.... what do you meen they would not let her ride? Her baby was dyeing! Luckily, a saint fireman stepped in and let her on, saying he would take the blame if something went wrong and that this baby needed her mother more than anything. They rushed to the hospital not knowing whether Baily was going to live or die. Traumatized, Amber was given paper work asking for permission to treat Bailey using the only drug they had for this type of venom, which also happened to be an experimental anti-venom drug. Experimental drug.... what other choice did Amber have than to let Bailey become the ginnie pig? 5 doses were administered, the most that these administering medical personnel had ever given, but with each dose she became better and better and she survived. I am so grateful that Amber listened to the spirit and found the scorpions. Bailey may not have been here otherwise. Good job Amber. I love you and Bailey so much. You are a great mom.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried as I read Amber's post! I couldn't imagine how hard that was for her! I was so happy to get to the end where she said Bailey was doing well!

mrs_jpyatt said...

Oh Becky! I cried reading this post! What a precious lil girl she has! Im so glad mommy got to go with her baby! And that miss Bailey and Amber too are doing well! My prayers will remain with them!

Erin said...

That is so scary! I can't believe they weren't going to let her ride with her. I"m so glad she is doing better.

Stephanie said...

That is CRAZY!! I'm so glad she is okay!

Des said...

HOLY COW!! thats pretty freaky. so scary.

Melisa said...

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who cried...

Scorpians are single-handedly keeping me from moving to AZ. ICK!

Rebecca said...

Oh! Gives my goose bumps. Sorry! I actually have been stung twice-not a fun time-but it was not life threatening for me.

Account of the Condie Clan said...

I admit I am tearing up as well! Thank God she was listening to the spirit, and it's wonderful that everythinig worked out ok.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Becky. Spencer W. Kimball's words are confirmed again, (and I'm paraphrasing) that next to the gift of life itself, the greatest gift that God can give us is the gift of the Holy Ghost. I am so glad and relieved for your sister!

Nonny said...

Poor Bailey! Poor Amber! Listening to the spirit was a lifesaver. Thank goodness for Brennen's quick thinking! Glad Bailey is well and that Amber was able to be with her throughout the ordeal! My mother worked in Arizona as a young adult and she said scorpions could be found in palm trees. The only place I have seen them in all our years in Arizona is in Michael's home once. On a happier note, Callie looks great in her hat (did not even recognize her)! The funny thing is that her hair is so straight. At least Steven's was curly!! Can't believe she is getting so big!!